Whether you’re an experienced mountain climber, or just getting started, you’ll know how important climbing rope hardware is to your adventure. When buying new climbing rope attachment hardware, it’s important to know how it is used.
What is climbing hardware?
Climbing hardware is the collective name for the various tools and equipment that climbers use to ascend rock faces, cliffs, and other surfaces. There are many different types of climbing hardware, each with its own unique set of purposes and applications.
There are many different types of climbing hardware, but some of the most common include:
- Belay devices are used to increase friction and braking force when applied to a rope. There are many different kinds of belay devices that help climbers descend.
- Carabiners are metal clips for ropes and harnesses that come in a range of styles to perform a range of functions for climbers.
- Slings or runners offer increased safety when combining two carabiners together to form a quickdraw.
- Quickdraws are pairs of carabiners connected together to offer more versatility across a range of climbing tasks.
Each type of climbing hardware has its own specific uses and applications, which is why it's important for climbers to understand how each piece of gear works. It's also important to know how to use that gear safely and effectively.
Why do I need quality climbing hardware?
The primary purpose of climbing hardware is to help climbers ascend rock faces and other surfaces. However, climbing hardware can also be used for a variety of other purposes, such as:
- Belaying — A belay device helps to manage the rope during a climb, providing a backup in case the climber falls.
- Anchoring — Anchors allow climbers to safely traverse across a section of rock, without having to worry about falling.
- Protection — Camming devices can be inserted into cracks in the rock face, providing protection from falls.
Each type of climbing hardware has its own specific applications, but they all work in order to make climbing easier and safer.
If you’re a beginner and need more information about climbing equipment, it’s best to contact experienced climbers and climbing clubs. Techniques have been developed to match every conceivable mountain climbing situation, and knowledge of what to do comes with experience.
What should I consider when buying climbing hardware?
Climbing hold hardware should be purchased with the utmost considerations for safety. You owe it to yourself to buy climbing rope hardware that:
- Is made by reputable manufacturers
- Has been tried and tested by independent bodies and climbers alike
- Is lightweight and strong to aid the climbing experience
- Is suited for the specific use that you purchase it for
Fortunately, Oz Backcountry’s climbing products fit the bill in terms of weight, functionality, practicality, and most importantly, safety. If you have any questions about the feasibility of Oz Backcountry’s climbing hardware for your next adventure, get in touch with our customer service team. We can answer any questions you have.
Climbing hardware from Oz Backcountry
If safety is your number one concern, look no further than climbing hardware products from Oz Backcountry. We take pride in only stocking the absolute best in market-leading climbing hardware that has been tested by the highest possible safety standards.
You can rest easy knowing that you are climbing in the safest hands. However, if you are unsatisfied by our products in any way, we will happily replace it, offer store credit, or refund entirely. Visit our returns and exchange policy to learn more.